Why drink coconut water? Well other than being super hydrating, and having more potassium than four bananas, let me tell you a few more reasons why you should consider drinking, what the Hawaiian's call, "dew from the heavens."
1. Hydration & Minerals It is loaded with electrolytes, calcium, potassium, and magnesium. It is also considered an isotonic solution that athletes are encouraged to drink, as it easily replaces the fluids and minerals that are lost due to physical activity. Way better than those sport's drinks out there.
2. Blood Coconut water is almost identical to blood plasma and this makes it easy to use for blood transfusion. In cases of emergency, coconut water has been used as an intravenous hydration fluid instead of the standard IV fluid.
3. B Vitamins This natural beverage provided by Mother Nature contains all the B vitamins needed by the body, apart from B6 and B12
4. Skin & Muscle Tone Drinking coconut water can improve the complexion of your skin, and promote good muscle tone. It can also be used directly on the face for skin hydration.
5. Diabetes, Digestion & Elimination Coconut is highly effective for controlling your blood sugar as it slows down the absorption of sugars. When added to foods or eaten with a meal, it significantly lowers the glycemic index of the food, which is of course very beneficial for diabetics. Coconut also acts as food for your gut bacteria, thus helps prevent and relieve symptoms associated with Crohn's disease, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, and other digestive disorders. Also, because the average coconut contains approximately three grams of fiber, drinking coconut water on a regular basis can help to prevent constipation.
6. Weight Loss Coconut water can help with weight loss, in that it promotes good circulation and speeds up your metabolism. Drink this instead of soda! (If you don't enjoy the plain coconut water, get one with pineapple or another fruit added to it).
7. Kidney Stones People who have kidney problems and are plagued by kidney stones should drink coconut water. It helps break up kidney stones, which makes them easier to pass.
8. Anti-Aging Coconuts contain cytokinin which is a potent anti-oxidant that stops the destructive action of free radicals that damage proteins, fats and DNA. Antioxidants are beneficial for slowing down the aging process by regulating cell division and encouraging significantly more youthful and functional cells.
So hopefully I've convinced you that coconut water, and coconut in general, is extremely beneficial for your health. Now, here's a refreshing smoothie recipe that incorporates some of these rewarding coconut benefits.
And, while drinking this, my three-year-old continuously says, "mmm, it's good." :)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup frozen raspberries or strawberries
- 1 cup coconut water (fresh is best if you can acquire it)
- 1 avocado
- 3 tablespoons coconut flesh (I use Artisana Coconut Butter)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or pure ground vanilla powder
- dash of sea salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons raw honey
- optional: 1/4 cup chia seed gel
Place all ingredients in a high speed blender, and blend until smooth. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Approximately 2 servings.
(Adapted recipe and acquired info from here)